[Qgis-user] Cool Features of QGIS

Stefan Blumentrath Stefan.Blumentrath at nina.no
Tue Dec 5 23:55:16 PST 2017

Hi Nyall, Clifford,

Could not agree more! Personally, I would say "http://monde-geospatial.com/10-differences-between-commercial-and-open-source-gis-software/" is a prime example "of very poorly researched posts on that site". But monde-geospatial is unfortunately not the only superficial site of that sort...

What "Cool features" are depends on what topic your audience is interested in and what their background is (consultants, researchers, public authorities). So it is hard to come up with general suggestions what to highlight.
What I would say it the big pluss of the OSGeo family is interoperability and that you for many tasks find Open Source solutions that in many cases even outperform expensive additional licenses in other GIS...
And that development of "cool features" is very much "user-driven". So, you can say Open Source is "practicioneers tools".

Cheers
Stefan