[Qgis-user] shapefile of Europe

Lee Hachadoorian Lee.Hachadoorian+L at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 20:25:24 PST 2017

Stephen,

I know you already got the answer you need, but I think it is worth
pointing out that the *.gdb folders you started out with are ESRI File
Geodatabases, and that QGIS does work with those. When you open the Add
Vector Layer dialog, you have to set the Source Type to Directory, and then
set the Type dropdown to either OpenFileGDB or ESRI FileGDB.

This is covered extremely briefly in the official documentation:

http://docs.qgis.org/2.14/en/docs/user_manual/working_with_vector/supported_data.html#id3

I describe it in slightly more detail in a lab exercise I use:

https://github.com/temple-geography/census-gis/blob/master/Introduction%20to%20American%20Community%20Survey%20with%20QGIS.md

Best,
--Lee

On Wed, Feb 1, 2017 at 10:27 PM, Stephen Sacks <sacks44 at earthlink.net>
wrote:

> To several people who replied to my request for help in finding a
> shapefile of Europe:  Thank You !   You've given me what I need.
>
>         Steve

Lee Hachadoorian
Assistant Professor of Instruction, Geography and Urban Studies
Assistant Director, Professional Science Master's in GIS
Temple University