[Qgis-user] WMS via https - "SSL handshake failed"

Larry Shaffer larrys at dakotacarto.com
Thu Jan 5 11:06:48 PST 2017

Hi John,

On Thu, Jan 5, 2017 at 11:23 AM, John Cartwright <
john.c.cartwright at comcast.net> wrote:

> Thanks.  I used wireshark to trace the session and it appears that QGIS is
> attempting to make the connection with TLSv1 which I think is at least part
> of the problem.
>
> Can either of you tell me what protocol and cipher suites you’re using?
>  what OS you’re running on?  Is there anyway to force QGIS to use a
> different protocol?

In Options -> Authentication -> Manage Certificates -> Servers, which is
where SSL Server configurations are listed after they are optionally
created in the SSL Error dialog. In an SSL Server configuration, you can
set the protocol, though I am unsure why you would *not* want to use TLSv1,
since the SSLv2|3 protocols have known vulnerabilities.

http://drive.dakotacarto.com/qgis/qgis2-ssl-protocols.png

Cipher suites are a bit harder to manage. Although one could use
QSslConfiguration::setCiphers(), this is not supported in QGIS's SSL server
configurations [0]. I believe you would need to do this via OpenSSL
configuration.

[0] http://doc.qt.io/qt-4.8/qsslconfiguration.html#setCiphers

Regards,

Larry Shaffer