[Qgis-user] 104 layers global coverage into QGIS ... Re: Plugin Installation Issue: OpenLayers &

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Tue Jul 4 02:08:37 PDT 2017

Hi Falk,

Il 03/07/2017 20:03, Falk Huettmann ha scritto:

> my questions to you are:
> -how can those data be served best to support QGIS, e.g. as a package or
> plugin,
>  and is that needed and wanted ?

I think they can be a very useful addition. Perhaps they could replace
or be added to the good old Alaska sample dataset?

> -what other data sources of that level exist and how to co-arrange ?
> -how to make it dynamic so that other people can add and contribute +
> update ?

good question. I think GeoGit has been designed for it (mostly vector
data, maybe), unsure about its current state.
is anyone aware of a good general solution?

> Another (species) data source is GBIF.org (an R package exist there but
> a QGIS one would be  a most excellent idea, e.g. to wrestle the entire
> data set in one shot!).

I remember a plugin directly accessing GBIF database.

> Movebank is another one, but it's certainly not Open Access; too bad on
> them.

Yes, not a sound choiche IMHO.

> (I am sure you have seen the Antarctic version of QGIS with data, run from
> Norway).
>
> Funding remains a key question to get this done; my guess.
> Perhaps the Academies of Sciences can take that on, serving the wider
> public,
> for a change ?

hosting is not the main problem IMHO. maintenance is the big one.

all the best.

--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu