[Qgis-user] Generate Text Labels for USA National Map?

Jeshua Lacock jeshua at 3DTOPO.com
Wed Jul 5 00:11:23 PDT 2017

Greetings,

I currently have all the base layers for a 1:24k topographic national map of the US worked out. Many many terabytes of data currently all in GRASS.

The last hurdle I have is to figure out the best way for labeling vector features (hydro, roads, contours) and point text (mountain summit names, place names, etc.).

Based on my research so far, it seems that QGIS might be one, if not the most powerful open source software for GIS text labels.

A few questions, if I may. I am new to QGIS so please forgive me if I am asking something that is obvious.

1. Is text that is created with the Rule-based labeling feature exportable, or is it is only for display in QGIS? If it is exportable, what formats can it be exported to? Anything besides raster?

2. Would it be possible to generate labels for the entire nation (millions of labels) with the rule-based labels, or would I have to do it in many sections?

3. For point text, are there any algorithms that help prevent labels from overlapping each other? Such as those outlined at: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_label_placement

4. Can point text be used with the rule-based labeling or is it only for vector data with attributes?

If anyone has undertaken a similar task as I am researching, I would certainly appreciate any and all feedback and advice.

Many thanks,

Jeshua Lacock
Founder/Engineer
<3DTOPO.com>