[Qgis-user] Area Calculations - what the h... is going on?

magerlin MAP at ramboll.dk
Thu Jul 6 09:58:35 PDT 2017

I normally use the latest version, right now 2.18.10 but I have also a
"stripped down" version with almost no plugins saved as "Qgis on a stick"
which I sometimes swap to if the current version (or the all to many plugins
I  cannot keep from installing) are making trouble. This is 2.18.1. (so it
is not calculated using 2.18.3 but 28.18.10, just me forgetting to update my
signature!).

Tested using version 2.18.1 instead of 2.18.10 and it calculates *apparently
correct areas using both $area and area($geometry)* (the 2 leftmost area
columns are version 2.18.10 and the 2 rightmost columns are 2.18.1):

<http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/file/n5326929/Screenshot_2017-07-06_18.png>

So it appears to be *an error introduced between version 2.18.1 and version
2.18.10*.

It is a file I have originally received from someone else so I am not sure
about "Compoundcurve geometries". Copy/pasting from attribute table shows
the WKT as a mixture of Polygons and Multipolygons....

-----
Regards Morten

Currently using Qgis 2.18.10 (OSGeo4),
Windows 7, 64bit