[Qgis-user] Get_Qgis_to_read_sid_files

carto at geoworx.org carto at geoworx.org
Fri Jul 28 16:11:35 PDT 2017

   Greetings List;

   I am new to Qgis, tho not to GIS generally.   I thought I may post
this question; apologies if not the proper venue, but I perused the
earlier threads to see if it was proper, and perhaps find an answer.

I am trying to get Qgis to read .sid image files.

   I am using a macOS, 10.11 (el cap).
   Qgis  2.18.7

My understanding so far, this is the order of install.
   Qgis (of course)
   GDAL_Complete-2.1
   GDAL-MrSid_plugin-2.1.1

   (all from KyngChaos)

   They all installed with no errors (good, but errors still possible),
but now the part I do not understand:
    In the readme for the MrSid plugin above, now I must obtain DSDK file
from Lizardtech:

     MrSid_DSDK-9.5.4.4703-darwin15.universal.clang70.zip

   I am told to simply copy and paste the files from the .zip; I guess
keeping the file structure, but where do they go?

   Again, within the GDAL MrSid readme file, it directed to copy only
four files to Library, but now I am told all the files need to be copied
somewhere.

   After this, then two sudo commands (also in the GDAL MrSid readme)

   Related to this (perhaps), the GDAL 2.1 install went into the root
Library  (  /Library  ) and not the user  ( /users/userme/Library  ).
I know enough of unix to be dangerous, but not proficient.
  Would this be related?

    Hopefully I made some sense of my question.   I can elaborate
further.   There is probably a simple fix for this; so apologies for the
newbie question.

    Thanks and Regards,