[Qgis-user] QGIS + PostGIS in production environment

Cap Diniz diniz.felipe at eb.mil.br
Thu Jun 15 13:02:02 PDT 2017

Thanks for the responses so far!

Adding a bit more information.

We are using Dell PowerEdge-R430 [1] for the PostGIS server with OS Debian
8.7 on a 1gigabit network. For each topographic sheet we use one database,
this means that we have hundreds of databases in production. We divide the
databases in different ports by project, just for organization, I don't
know if that impacts performance.

As for clients we usually use Debian 8.4, Windows 7 or Windows 10 with
latest LTR QGIS. The clients are i7, 8gb RAM, 1gb video card.

We didn't do any tuning in PostgreSQL, I will try out the suggestions. As
configuration goes, we just disabled the Auto Vacuum, and run it by a
script at night (when no one is connected) along with backup.

Then main problem that we are facing is slow saving time at peak hours
(when about 50 clients are digitizing in different databases). Sometimes
can take up to 1 minute to save all layers. We work with autosave in QGIS
that saves every 5 minutes, so slow saving time is not ideal.
The reason that we save so much is that sometimes we have errors while
saving, such as null geometries, that we cannot fix and we have to discard
the edits. (also we have other errors that usually we discard the edits).

[1] https://i.dell.com/sites/doccontent/shared-content/data-
sheets/en/Documents/Dell-PowerEdge-R430-Spec-Sheet.pdf

Thanks Mike, I sent an email there also.

Regards,
Felipe Diniz