[Qgis-user] QGOS maps fort Garmin GPS

Stephen Wandling swandling at gmail.com
Sat Mar 4 16:02:50 PST 2017

I am running QGIS 2.18.3 and am at a very early learning stage.  I wish
to create simple maps, with 2 or 3 shape files for my Garmin GPSMaps
76CSx.  This map would consist of Trails and Streams shp files and maybe
Contours.  It would also be accepted by Mapsource and Base Camp.

There were some tutorials that seemed like they were what I wanted, but
they all failed in one regard or another: 1.) They were using an
'ancient' version of qgis.  2.) The maps they produced worked in just
about every Garmin GPS except the one I own.  3.) They use a plug-in
with a disclaimer that it will demolish my data.  There were other
issues, but my memory fails me.

If someone out there is familiar with my situation (and possibly has the
same GPS) and can either point me to a site I missed, or outline the
steps for me, I would be grateful.

[If it is easier to do in ArcMap, I have access to the ESRI software also.]

Please keep in mind that while I have a general idea about GIS work and
have been making some maps, for plotting, that satisfy my needs, I get
very lost when I am subjected to acronyms and technical jargon.  If is
not clear and straightforward, it will probably be wasted on me.

TIA,
Stephen