[Qgis-user] QGOS maps fort Garmin GPS

Saulteau Don sault.don at gmail.com
Sun Mar 5 17:50:15 PST 2017

i also have a garmin 76csx and have used for a long time, still and for
closely for the same (original post) purpose, and there are some hard
limitations in the device regarding cartographic needs you need to
consider...

first, that device doesn't really support the new garmin raster type .map
overlays, and as a result is limited to tracks and waypoints. But it has an
excellent gps receiver with a microsd slot to allow uploads of large
amounts of data which is the bonus i like.

I haven't had a chance to test the Monterra from garmin which might allow
usage of apps like Avenza PDF Maps, which is really handy because with that
I can create high quality cartographic and custom maps to easily upload and
navigate with while making use of the excellent gps receiver.

i live in northern british columbia where the data is what it is so I
experience these tedious workarounds a lot!

it helps to learn the gpx format and fields/attributes that the device
looks for when seeking styling and as a result demands some creativity from
my end to get it into the device without having to style it in the device
(ex, 1st order streams vs the rest, trails > side road > public road >
highway, contours - intermediate etc...)

I primarily use DNRGPS application to interface with the garmin 76csx

Data awareness in BC is also something that comes in hand and learning how
to query those datasets effectively, like the Fresh Water Atlas (FWA) or
the Digital Road Atlas (DRA) to get started!

Also note that the latest Canvec 50k dataset for "most" of BC contains the
contour data found in TRIM BC - another bonus!

Donovan

Donovan