[Qgis-user] Real Mask functionality in QGIS?

Paulo van Breugel p.vanbreugel at gmail.com
Thu Mar 9 02:28:07 PST 2017

On 09-03-17 11:03, Bernd Vogelgesang wrote:
> Am 09.03.2017, 08:28 Uhr, schrieb Neumann, Andreas <a.neumann at carto.net>:
>
>     Hi Hilpers,
>
>     Is this about label and symbol backgrounds?
>
>     We have a QEP about that (see
>     https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Enhancement-Proposals/issues/63) and
>     an offer from Oslandia.
>
>     Can you please review this QEP and let us know if it matches your
>     needs?
>
>     If yes - would you be able to contribute financially? It is quite
>     complex to implement this and I have to collect around 18k € to
>     finance it. So I would be interested in financial contributions.
>
>     Thank you for your reply,
>
>     Andreas
>

> Hi Andreas,
> as I understood the feature request, he means a "real" mask that is
> not only masking the display, but all features outside of the mask for
> any geoprocessing.
> I faintly rember this from ArcGIS which I didn't use for ages, so I
> have no idea how well this is working how its done technically.
>
> But the idea, that when working with numerous layers of different
> extent, not to have to crop them them each individually to fit into a
> window of interest, but just to assign a mask layer/bbox to them,
> sounds very good to me.

This sounds like the mask (r.mask) in GRASS GIS and region (g.region)
functionality (limits raster operations to defined bbox, amongst
others), which both are indeed incredible useful functions. If you want
to use this for geoprocessing in QGIS, you can try it out using the
GRASS toolbox. The mask function is also available in the processing
toolbox (r.mask.rast; never tried out how this works though). Note that
r.mask and g.region both only work for rasters. A similar functionality
for vector layers would be great, but perhaps more complicated to
implement (I guess internally it would still use a mask to cut out the
desired area / region).