[Qgis-user] processing script vs. processing plugin

Ari Jolma ari.jolma at gmail.com
Mon Mar 13 00:24:17 PDT 2017

To me it seems that processing algorithm provider plugins are language
or tool specific plugins that add a new section to the processing.
Processing is itself a plugin (although a core one).

I don't think providers should add custom GUIs beyond what is needed to
manage itself and the algorithms it provides. That is, its GUI is for
adding, possibly creating, etc. algorithms. It should mostly work
through the processing plugin.

The "algorithms" are processing tools (scripts, external programs, etc)
that only have a thin wrapper so that the provider plugin can help the
processing plugin create a GUI for running it or linking it to other
tools to create models.

This is my understanding that I've gained by creating a provider plugin
for Perl programs to be used as processing algorithms.

I'm actually a bit against listing the providers separately since the
user should not need to care what language or program the processing
tool is written as long as it does what the user wants.

Best regards,

Ari