[Qgis-user] Embed layers and groups

Fuenfer-Koenigstein.Benjamin at swm.de Fuenfer-Koenigstein.Benjamin at swm.de
Mon Mar 13 02:29:39 PDT 2017

Hi

Another interesting point about the embed layers feature is how it reacts to project variables. I use project variables for colors, symbol sizes etc. a lot, for example many layers with similar colors, so I only have to change the variable and not the color in every layer. I just tested how embedded layers behave. Outcome: project variable in ‘child project’ is recognized by embedded layers. Means that if there is no variable with same name, default color/value of embedded layer is taken, if there is a variable with same name but different value, this value is taken.

Irrespective of that, I think the embed layers plugin (as already mentioned here) is absolutely underestimated until now. It’s a very powerful tool and can deliver lot of work saving and useful functionality. It might be worth to start a wider discussion about what people expect from it and which use cases the feature might be used for.

To start I describe one use case here:

I create a background map with complex styling using dozens of layers. First, I create the ‘super extended, very colorful’ version. Then, I will embed this main version in other projects to create different versions for different applications, for example a b/w version, a version with less information and pale colors, and another version with different labeling font. If I do major changes in the main version (for example change layer source or ad another class to rule based styling), they are adopted by child projects automatically. That’s very useful because I don’t have to maintain every version manually. This shows that it’s not always considered bad if changes in embedded layers are possible (as long as they don’t affect main project). But of course, individual control about which properties are read only and which can be overridden by child projects would be helpful.

Regards
Benjamin

Von: Qgis-user [mailto:qgis-user-bounces at lists.osgeo.org] Im Auftrag von DelazJ
Gesendet: Samstag, 11. März 2017 11:04
An: Laurence Béchet
Cc: QGIS list
Betreff: Re: [Qgis-user] Embed layers and groups

Hi

What might be more worrisome is that these embedded layers can be edited in the 'child' project and modified .... another bug?
I'm not sure this is a bug. I'd expect to be able to modify the data (e.g. because the area i'm working on was not yet covered by the data). What you embed is the way the layer is set in the master project (its rendering and constraints).
However, recent QGIS have an option in Project Properties --> Identify features to set read-only a layer in the project and avoid features modification. Might be worth testing if this option is followed in the child project. If not, this would be a bug imho

Harrissou
Cheers
Laurence