[Qgis-user] How to reproject maps of world grasslands

Martin martin.pescador at inventati.org
Sun Mar 19 12:49:22 PDT 2017

Hello folks!

I would like to plot a simple map of the WWF World Grassland Types (the
shape file is available at
https://www.worldwildlife.org/publications/world-grassland-types

It is in an unusual projection. The .prj file is:

PROJCS["World_Goode_Homolosine_Land",GEOGCS["GCS_WGS_1984",DATUM
["D_WGS_1984",SPHEROID["WGS_1984",6378137.0,298.257223563]],PRIMEM
"Greenwich",0.0],UNIT["Degree",0.0174532925199433]],PROJECTION
["Goode_Homolosine"],PARAMETER["False_Easting",0.0],PARAMETER
["False_Northing",0.0],PARAMETER["Central_Meridian",0.0],PARAMETER
["Option",1.0],UNIT["Meter",1.0]]

The map does not include the outline countries of the world and
therefore I would like to add these (perhaps the NaturalEarth 110
million scale country shape file, which is in WGS84).

However, I cannot figure out how to align the grassland layer and the
110 million NaturalEarth layer. As I understand it, I should use Save As
to reproject the grassland shape file with a new CRS (perhaps Mercator).
With Enable on the fly CRS transformation enabled I should then be able
to put the two shape files together - but I am darned if I can obtain
anything sensible: I cannot get the two layers to align in any way.

With grateful thanks for  any help, Martin