[Qgis-user] All attribute info GONE!

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Wed Oct 4 22:57:18 PDT 2017

Hi Merryn,

A feature in (Q)GIS always consists of geometry AND attributes. So if
your geometries are around, also your attributes should be around. If
you delete a feature, both geometry and attributes are removed for this
particular feature.

If your attributes are gone, double check if the naming scheme is really
correct. You mentioned that you don't see file extensions in Windows.
You need to enable the display of the file extensions in the windows
explorer to see them. Double check that they have the same basename and
then just one extension (not accidentally two).

One can delete attribute table columns in the layer properties. But I
don't think one does this by accident.

Andreas

On 2017-10-05 07:49, Merryn Delaney wrote:

> Thanks Andreas,
> I have found the .DBF. Sorry another question. Do you think it's possible that a person can delete (accidentally) all attributes info from a DBF? Maybe using the save as function? It seems really strange that all the info (polygons etc) have gone like that.
>
> On Thu, Oct 5, 2017 at 1:43 PM, Andreas Neumann <a.neumann at carto.net> wrote:
>
> Hi Merryn,
>
> Ok - so it looks like you seem to use shp-Files. You absolutely need the .dbf file in order to view the attributes. Without this file, it won't work.
>
> Sorry I can't help here - I don't know what happened in your system. Try to find the corresponding .dbf files.
>
> Greetings,
>
> Andreas
>
> On 2017-10-05 07:35, Merryn Delaney wrote:
> Hello,
> Thank you for the prompt reply.
> These are the files that she deleted..
> .cpg
> . (blank)
> .prj
> .qpj
> .empty
> .shx
>
> How is it possible that she deleted all files and that the /dbf are completely gone??
>
> Thank you.
> M.
>
> On Thu, Oct 5, 2017 at 1:30 PM, Andreas Neumann <a.neumann at carto.net> wrote:
>
> Hi Merryn,
>
> What data formats are you using?
>
> In case you are using shapefiles - can you check if all the necessary files are around? Note that a shapefile consists of several files:
>
> * .shp --> geometry
> * .dbf --> attributes (perhaps this file is missing?)
> * .prj --> projection info
> * .shx --> index file
> * potentially more.
>
> All files would have the same name, but they would have different file extensions. You need at least those two.
>
> The two most important ones are .shp .dbf
>
> Greetings,
>
> Andreas
>
> On 2017-10-05 07:25, Merryn Delaney wrote:
>
> I've just got back home from maternity leave. The person who replaced me was not familiar with mapping softwares. I go back to open QGIS file and I discover that the main file and associated subfiles have been deleted. I restore them from the bins but when I open all the vectors are still there but attribute tables are empty!!! If i zoom to the file it doesn't show anything. Does anyone know what she could have done and how I can fix it? Is it possible that she saved as the vector with the same name and accidentally deleted all the data existing data??

Links:
------