[Qgis-user] QGIS to Blender - Converter / free global elevation mesh dataset

Bernd Vogelgesang bernd.vogelgesang at gmx.de
Sun Oct 29 06:14:45 PDT 2017

Hi Michael,
I installed the plugin an tried to test it.

So far I got no results. I tried it with a clip of a DEM of 10km radius of
the EUR_DEM Dataset.
Seems it does not want to finish, the log sais for a while {"percent":
99.93917274939103, "status_desc": "Calculating row 821 of 822"}

Maybe you could write some general recommendations about which sizes to
use, caveats etc (aka a "little" help file ;))

Cheers
Bernd

Am 28.10.2017, 15:18 Uhr, schrieb Michael Nolde <mnolde at gmx.net>:

> Dear mailing list members,
>
> I'd like to announce 'geoTriMesh', a Python module I wrote to convert
> GIS data to the Blender 3D suite. It has full support for donut and
> multipolygons as well as coordinate systems. It works by creating a
> topological mesh by triangulating coordinate information from the
> polygon and merging it with elevation and color raster data. The result
> is written to X3D to be imported into Blender (or other 3D modelling
> environments). VTK unstructured grids for visulisation in ParaView are
> also supported.
>
> It's free (Apache License) and available as Python Module (installable
> via pip) as well as QGIS Plugin:
> https://github.com/flatpolar
>
> Also, I used the library to create a global elevation mesh dataset
> (spherical and flat projection), which can be downloaded here and used
> for private or commercial 3D modelling projects (CC-BY license):
> http://flatpolar.org/tocomee.html
>
> A detailed description of the dataset is available here:
> http://ijsdir.jrc.ec.europa.eu/index.php/ijsdir/article/view/455
>
> I'm happy to receive feedback.
>
> Cheers, Michael

Bernd Vogelgesang