[Qgis-user] How to outline regions consisting of multiple fields

DelazJ delazj at gmail.com
Tue Sep 12 01:05:42 PDT 2017

> I don't think there is a way to just select the outline / extent of the
> regions from the municipalities and display that but still keep the
> municipalities separate. There may be something with a virtual view if you
> loaded it into a GIS database but I'm just guessing now.

No need to have data in a GIS database for that. QGIS provides the
virtual layer format [0] which you can use to create the merged
features (if you don't want to store such a layer in your folders).

I don't know whether it's possible but wonder if the geometry
generator symbol can be used to aggregate features on the fly. Never
try!

Another hack could be to use the "Inverted Polygon" symbology (with
only the outlining as style) and checking the "Merge polygons before
rendering (slow)" option.

[0] http://docs.qgis.org/2.18/en/docs/user_manual/managing_data_source/create_layers.html#vector-virtual-layers

H.