[Qgis-user] Support for DWG?

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 18:03:25 PDT 2018

Looks like https://issues.qgis.org/issues/18576

> Drag from the Browser panel does not seem to work (Invalid layer reported from GDAL)

That's not supported, as drag from browser will attempt to read the
DWG directly as a map layer and skip the import process.

> The conversion to gpkg is somewhat slow (one file, 7MB took about 25 minutes to load, and grew to 56MB !) but there's no visual indication that it is progressing. DWG files with XREF's also take a long time. What you get is the "Not responding" message in the DWG Import window.  If you have patience :-) it eventually finishes successfully. It would be preferable to see some progress bar.

What we really need here is to move the import to a background task --
the couple of times I've tried to import DWG I've given up as it
looked like the application had locked. I took a quick look at the
code and it should be relatively straightforward to move this to a
background task.

> When opening the DWG Import window, the settings from the previous import are still there (even if you close and reopen QGIS). If you leave the same gpkg filename as the previous import, it is overwritten, without any warning. I think it would be better to have both text boxes, "Geopackage" and  "Drawing", empty every time the window opens. And an overwrite warning would also be good.

An overwrite warning is definitely necessary! Can you please file a
bug report for this?

Nyall