[Qgis-user] WFS created with geoserver not showing style in QGIS

Jonathan Moules jonathan-lists at lightpear.com
Tue Aug 14 01:21:20 PDT 2018

Hi Reginald,

I believe there's a misunderstanding of WFS going on here.

WFS is a Feature service - it only serves up raw vector data, and it
does so with no styling information. Styling is to be done at the
client's (QGIS) end, in the same way you'd style a shapefile.

When you look at the data in GeoServer's OpenLayers client, you're
looking at a WMS - the M stands for Map. It's a rendered map that's
created by GeoServer using the SLD file you created and then sent to the
client as an image. If you want to see that layer in QGIS, you'll need
to load the layer as a WMS.

There's also WCS - C = Coverage. That's basically raw raster data. And
there's WMTS - which is (simplified) a pre-rendered and cached WMS into
tiles which are super-fast to serve (the MT in WMTS = Map Tile).

Hope that clears up your problem,

Cheers,

Jonathan