[Qgis-user] Redraw time

Richard McDonnell richard.mcdonnell at opw.ie
Mon Aug 20 02:28:43 PDT 2018

Hi Wolstan,
GGP GIS appears to be customised/out of the box, ready to deal OS Mastermap, it most likely has built in filters and tools to deal with this dataset efficiently.

Qgis is an international Open Free GIS, which with a little patience and tweaking, can easily deal with National Vector based Datasets.

We use the OSi (Ordnance Survey Ireland) PRIME2 Datasets (same type dataset as Mastermap) in the office and QGIS is quite happy to deal with this data.
We use:
	Postgresql/PostGIS Database, to store the dataset with Geometry and feature Index's. These are then served via WMS, WFS (GeoServer) and direct connection to
	Database.
	Zoom based Filters in styling to reduce the amount of data being redrawn (You don’t need to see individual houses at 1:100,000 now do you)
	Rule Based Symbology, to further filter and style based on attribution

Panning and zooming round Dublin takes less than a second to render at 5,000, 2500 and 1:1000 with maybe 2 seconds (Max) at 1:10,000.
If I turned on all the layers and started panning round without the Filters and Styling, (or Geodatabase) I would also have large redraw times.
Hope this helps,
Regards,

Richard.