[Qgis-user] Display Kanji from SHP files

Christine geo.guide at web.de
Thu Aug 23 02:37:34 PDT 2018

Markus Hauser wrote
> I have a SHP file (from Geospatial Information Authority of Japan) with
> Kanji letters.
> How can I display those correct? Now I only get weird Latin letters.

You should choose an appropriate encoding for the shapefile in its
properties > source tab. Beeing not an expert in digital representation of
japanese font types, I would first try to use UTF versions and JIS7.
According Wikipedia JIS encoding refers to several Japanese Industrial
Standards for encoding the Japanese language.

Regards, Christine