[Qgis-user] QGIS 3.4.2 still very slow to work in Windows 10

David Addy davesgrandad at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 08:59:06 PST 2018

I have always loved QGIS and I have extolled its virtues to local historians
and archaeologists in my area.
I have had to keep quiet about it lately.
I was somewhat relieved to hear a comment on a recent video of the Oceania
meeting that QGIS 3.4.1 was a dud release as it caused Windows to crash at
random moments. I had thought that all the long pauses, messages of QGIS not
responding, and crashing when being closed down was some awful feature
unique to my computer. I had even tried reverting to 2.18 for a while.
However, after I upgraded to 3.4.2 I still had problems.
Opening QGIS on Windows 10 can take over half a minute before anything
happens apart from the outline box of the QGIS window full of blank space.
Once a project finally loads up any random operation can still get the "QGIS
not responding" message.
This can result in further issues because I try pressing buttons to get a
response.
I even bought Anita's 4th edition of "Learn QGIS" to see if I was doing
something radically wrong. It did highlight a few wrinkles until I got to
page 55 when I discovered instructions on the edit node tool. This tool I
had used OK in the past, but it now baffles me totally. I cannot get it to
do what the book says.
I am now losing my confidence in 3.4.2 and can only hope that the next point
release will produce improvements.
It would really help if known major issues like this could be posted here,
perhaps as a sticky which stays at the top, to let users know that they are
not alone with an issue.
Sorry to complain.