[Qgis-user] QGIS 3.4.2 still very slow to work in Windows 10

Bernd Vogelgesang bernd.vogelgesang at gmx.de
Mon Dec 10 09:49:19 PST 2018

Hi,

I can't contribute to your particular problems, but have some remarks.

You said you "reverted" to 2.18. On Windows, you can easily run 3.x
besides 2.x. Do you have the same problems with 2.18?  If so, it's
really your personal installation that fails, I think.

The node tool was redesigned in 3.x, and there is quite a discussion
going on, cause not so many people like the new behaviour.

In general, I would like to say, that the promotion of the newest
release shown in QGIS is quite a bad idea: The inexperienced will not
hesitate to update and therefore run in every possible bug, being left
clueless, while the more experienced are more cautious and install it
only anlongside for testing purposes first.

The developers are in a bad situation: They need lots of testers to find
bugs, but in my opinion they reach the wrong users with that
advertisement. (no idea how to improve this)

Furthermore, the new version had a bad start, cause (as I understood)
last-minute-changes in dependencies caught them unprepared.

Unfortunately, no one gives warnings about the major issues somewhere
prominently e.g. on the QGIS.org website, so you have to read the
mailing-list(s) and search in the issue queue yourself. In my opinion,
in QGIS3 the developers were a little too ambitious, but it seems they
also had kind of bad luck as well. Lots of features introduced are
somewhat bleeding-edge and need time to ripe.

As I rarely use Windows, I'm not of big help. I just want to recommend
you to use the network installer (advanced install!) and install the 2.x
LTR and the 3.x LTR in parallel and update them through the installer
once in a while, and keep 2.18 for productive work as long as you do not
trust the 3.x version.

The open source mantra is "release early, release often", but that
doesn't mean that everyone has to update early and often as well!

Cheers,

Bernd