[Qgis-user] QGIS 3.4.2 still very slow to work in Windows 10

Bo Victor Thomsen bo.victor.thomsen at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 02:09:39 PST 2018

Just my - very late – 2 cents.

I have 2 computers that is exactly the same type: Lenovo Thinkpad P50.
There is no difference in cpu, memory, SSD or graphics. One is running
Windows 7 and one is running Ubuntu 18.04. Both have QGIS 3.4.2 with the
same plugins installed.

The Linux pc starts QGIS 3.4.2 in just 4 seconds or less. The windows
machine is at least 5 times slower starting up. When QGIS is running the
Linux pc is slightly faster.

The crucial difference is the startup time of the plugins. On the Linux pc
you hardly notice the "Restoring loaded plugins" text. However, it takes –
forever - on the Windows pc.

My guess is that the initialization of the python plugins runs very, very
slow on the Windows pc. So the culprit may be the python interpreter on
Windows.

--
Med venlig hilsen

Bo Victor Thomsen