[Qgis-user] Newbie question

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Mon Feb 12 23:30:34 PST 2018

On 13-02-18 03:49, John Glass wrote:
> Apologies ahead of time. Searched for the answer, but was unable to find.
>
> I want to edit the fields in an attribute table (US Census /places/
> shapefile) as some are not necessary for my map. I suspect that there
> are some that are mandatory for the /information/ cursor to correctly
> identify the place. Which fields might those be? Clearly they are the
> long/lat fields and the name of the place, but what others are required
> for the additional field data I want to add to be displayed?

Hi John,

If I'm correct you have data, and you want to throw away attributes?

Normally you can throw away what you want. Depending on the type of data
you have, you normally have either one column holding the Geometry
(Point, Polygon or Line) most often in Binary Form. OR (in case of a csv
dataset, you have indeed an x and y column). But besides that you can
have 1 or more optional attributes (I even think it is possible to have
None attributes).

Also depending on the type of data you have, there are often some
auxillary files (sometimes an index file, or a file containing
projection info etc)

The proof is in the eating :-) Just try.

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde