[Qgis-user] ctrl-c selection issue

Kirk Schmidt kirk at nortekresources.com
Tue Jan 9 13:19:56 PST 2018

After a few selections, you may have to close and reopen qgis to purge
the memory as well. Importing a csv is memory intensive so another
approach is to try saving as a spatial database (SQLite) or even a
shapefile.  Once written, you can load the spatial file and you should
have lots of memory to keep selecting points.

Kirk

On 1/9/2018 4:58 PM, Ramon Andinach wrote:
> I’m not sure what the problem is, but if I were doing that repeatedly,
> I’d probably use Layer -> Save As, tick the Save Only Selected
> Features box and save it to CSV.  Then muck about with excel later.
>
> This way ought to be a bit lighter on the memory.
>

> Ramon.
>> On 10 Jan 2018, at 04:25, Jeroen Hovens <mail at groenebij.nl
>> <mailto:mail at groenebij.nl>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>> Using qgis 2.14.18 I have been working today with a large csv file
>> (7.5 mln objects). I just need selections of this database which I
>> can then modify in excel. So I opened the attribute table and made a
>> selection based on a specific value for an attribute, and copied that
>> selection (about 30.000 objects) via the clipboard (ctrl-c) to a new
>> Microsoft Excel file, then saved the excel file and repeated the
>> process for another selection. This worked perfect for some time.
>> However, some selections won’t copy: when I press the copy button the
>> programs turn to ‘not responding’ and won’t snap out of it anymore.
>>  Selection size when this happens is about the same (about 20k to 35k
>> objects).
>> What could be the problem? Could the data be corrupted? How can I
>> check what is wrong?
>> Thank you
>> Gr.
>> Jeroen