[Qgis-user] 2.18.13: WMS caching deactivated?

Bernd Vogelgesang bernd.vogelgesang at gmx.de
Sun Jan 14 13:45:19 PST 2018

Hi Richard,
thanx for taking care!

Am 14.01.2018, 12:33 Uhr, schrieb Richard Duivenvoorde
<rdmailings at duif.net>:

> Hi Bernd,
>
> tested your WMS in current master
>
> If I go to Options/Network/Cache settings, it is at least with me set to
> a 'cache' directory in my current profile (so readable/writable).
>
> If I look into the sub dirs in that dir, I see at least some
> cache/data8/2/31780thr.d like files created
>
> But I agree that even when you do not move your canvas (by only
> switching between scale 50.000 and 100.000) that it takes several
> seconds all the time..
>
> In debug messages, I see a full url being created all the time, not sure
> if these messages:
>
> (cacheReplyProgress) [102ms] [thread:0x7f2a38072160] 3290598 of unknown
> number of bytes of map downloaded.
>
> is actually a cached image reply or not...
>
> I also see this message: not sure if that is ok or not.
> Trying to draw a WMS image on the main thread. Stop it!
>
> Last question would be for me: IS it possible to cache WMS's? I mean,
> normally the exact scale, bbox etc are never exactly the same.
> So QGIS could only really cache in the case I mentioned above, when the
> user does not toch mapcanvas but only switches by using the Scale
> dropdown.

Well, in 2.14 it was obviously possible to cache this WMS. The bar at the
bottom of the screen either said sth. like "downloading x tiles of y" sth
like that, or sth like "retrieving tiles x" when loading from the cache,
and it was waaaaayyy faster.
But all this disappeared with or somewhere in 2.18.

I wonder if that is a specific problem with "my" WMS ,but others I checked
hat the same behaviour.

> But maybe Juergen or other WMS-dev's can elaborate on that?

Would be nice ;) Cause working with WMS is now sooo sloooow

Cheers
Bernd

--
Bernd Vogelgesang