[Qgis-user] Provider Error

Salvatore Larosa lrssvtml at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 08:15:10 PDT 2018

Hi,

Il Ven 13 Lug 2018, 14:26 Martin Bittens <martin.bittens at gmx.de> ha scritto:

> Hello QGIS Users.
>

> I want to create a text field in an attribute table which contains some
> data points by using the field calculator. So I selected:
>

> - Create a new field
>
> - Output field name: Comment
>
> - Output field type: Text (string)
>
> - Output field length: 10
>
> - Text input: 'Area 2'
>

> The Output preview shows: 'Area 2'. By clicking on "OK" I receive the
> following message: "Could not add the new field to the provider"
>
> My system is: Windows 10, QGIS2.18.21.
>
> In the previous versions of QGIS I did not get that error when I added
> with the field calculator text fields in attribute tables.
>
> Does somebody know a solution solving the error?
>

> Thank you very much.
>

> Martin

this is a known issue [0] and there already is a patch to fix it [1].

A workaround that you could adopt before the patch get merged is changing
the precision value from 3 to 0 for the text field being created.
To change the precision value you have to select the decimal type before in
order to enable the spinbox widget.

Best Regards.

[0] - https://issues.qgis.org/issues/19283
[1] - https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/7375