[Qgis-user] minimum and recommended specs for a laptop?

Nicolas Cadieux nicolas.cadieux at archeotec.ca
Thu Jul 19 05:10:59 PDT 2018

Hi,

My experience is that over heating laptops is often caused by dust in old fans.  Fans can be changed or cleaned but it does take some skills to do that.  A shop can do it for 50-100$.  The second problem is that companies use cheap parts.

I would go the computer that has a cpu made with the finest lithography (14mn) but even that will not help with a cheap computer.  I did not look at the HQ options you are referring to. Go to Intel and the the exact spect for the cpu serial number.  Look at lithography, cache, onboard video card ...

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/processors/core/i7-processors.html

Gaming laptops may help as they are generally made with more rugged parts.  You may also look at professional laptop built for CAD.  They will generally come with pro video cards that may not be very helpful but the rest of the computer should be better built.  I am usually happy with a pro level Lenovo laptop. (Not found in a store).  They last long, are more expensive but generally come with a limited intel video card.  That is the trade off.

My recommendations is that you should always consider the maximum memory you can put in the laptop as that is the only upgrade you can do appart from the HD.  Make sure you can change the HD (not an option with most resent MACs). Buy and SSD if you can.  That is probably the most important option (along with memory) you can select that will speed up large datasets.

Nicolas