[Qgis-user] Unable to load project

Nicolas Cadieux nicolas.cadieux at archeotec.ca
Mon Jun 11 07:01:32 PDT 2018

Hi,
Answers below.
Nicolas

> Le 11 juin 2018 à 04:40, DelazJ <delazj at gmail.com> a écrit :
>
> Hi,

>> Hello All,
>>
>> Thanks again for your insights, sorry for the delayed response.  Very helpful to get the different perspectives.
>> Yes, I understand the need for constant development and improvements.  And hence the need for some users to run multiple installations for comparative purposes.  I'm not in that league so only need something that works reliably.
Then I would go for the LTR
>> Again, I understand the benefits of using a Linix installation but at this stage I'm not keen on managing more than one operating system.  In this realm, I would be considered an advanced amateur or lower-level expert in computer management and GIS so taking on major challenges is not something I would relish upon waking up each morning.
I agree. Pick your battles!  I have done the same for my PH.D.  When open source 99% but not for Windows.  That will be after.
>> Thanks for some clarity on to installation processes.  It would seem that for the most utility, osgeo4w would be the preferred choice.  It turns out that I had installed 2.8.1 as a standalone and am now running it successfully.  It would seem unlikely that I should fall back to 2.18?
2.18 is not a fall back.  It is a few years newer than 2.8x

https://qgis.org/en/site/getinvolved/development/roadmap.html
>> Again, mixed signals here regarding versions, some advise 3.0, others 2.18, while I am succesfully using 2.8.1.  It would seem that 3.0 might be a good idea, would there be any obvious reason not to migrate?
Personally, I suggested you go to 3.0 to test to see if the problems you were having can from a broken QGIS installation.  The fact that the project did open in an older version of QGIS does indicate that this was the case.  As 3.0 can live without affecting 2.x so that looked like a good testing option.  Seeing you don’t enjoy playing around much with you versions, going for the latest LTR 2.18 looks like the better option.  If you do that, I would recommend you completely uninstall both versions of QGIS on your compter as bugs found in setting could be passed along the latest 2.18 version.  Do this when you have time.

 If you move to 3 this is not an issues. You should have a fresh install. I would wait the 10 days as suggested below and go to 3.2.

The only real reason not to migrate to 3.2 is If you have a number of specific plugins you absolutely need.  Some are not yet ported to QGIS 3. I could check for you if you send a list of your installed plugins.  Also, some gdal tool have missing parameters or options in 3.0. This may fixed in 3.2.  If you don’t know what I am talking about, or if you use gdal outside of QGIS, this is not an issus.

> 3.0 is end of life in 10 days, meaning that while you can still use it (like you do with 2.10), it won't get bug fixes anymore (and few months later, we would fall in the same issue).  3.2 will be released at that moment for 4 months, with new features but also probably new bugs. On the other hand 2.18 is there up to january 2019, had got a lot of fixes since almost two years and much much stable.
> And I still think that migrating from a so old 2.x release to 3.x might not be a good idea but I don't have technical skills to confirm or argument this feeling.
> If your need is to "simply" use QGIS and you don't want to regularly update, I'd say "Just go with LTRs". This is what they are designed for. You'll miss some features but will get them (stabler) once  the new LTR is released.
>
> Regards,
> Harrissou
>> I see that Nicholas makes a good case for osgeo4w.
This install will give you options to install all GIS desktop packages an easy way.  Start with that. All the needed software will be installed but you will not have the options to select 2.x or 3.x.  You will be in 3.x.  Then run the install with the advanced option and have a look at how it works.  There, you could select extra software or packages.  If you are super nervous, install Teamviewer (google it) and I could help with the installation from my home.  I am on Montreal time.