[Qgis-user] Add new layer to existing GeoPackage file

Rick Rupp palousegeo at outlook.com
Wed Jun 13 10:25:25 PDT 2018

Hi,

I want to use the “Save as” function on a GeoPackage layer to save a reprojected copy to a new layer in the same GeoPackage file. The function fails with an “Error: Cannot overwrite an OGR layer in place” message. The same thing happens if I try to save a subset of selected features from a layer to the same GeoPackage file. However, if I use the ogr2ogr function it works nicely. Is this the expected behavior? I am updating lab exercises for students in my beginning GIS class, and trying to switch from shapefiles to GeoPackage, so I am reluctant to send students to the command line early in their GIS training. I am working with QGIS 3.0.3 on Windows 10.

Regards, Richard