[Qgis-user] Getting QField to work

Stephen Ellwood Stephen at wildlifesavvy.co.uk
Thu Jun 21 15:18:25 PDT 2018

Dear All,

I am new to this list so please forgive any stupid questions I may ask.

I have been using QGIS for a few years now, but want to extend my data
gathering to an Android tablet (Huawei T3, Android v7.0).  To this end I
have downloaded QField and this seems to run fine. I then tried to
install the QFieldsync plugin onto my laptop (Windows 10), to facilitate
transferring projects from laptop to tablet.

My problem, that I would very much appreciate help with, is that I can't
load the plugin.  From what I can tell this is because QGIS's own Python
install/console isn't working.  I have tried different versions of QGIS
(2.18.20, 2.4, 3.0), and get various error messages when I try to load
the plugin or open the python console to help me load the plugin.  For
example:

Couldn't load plugin qfieldsync due an error when calling its
classFactory() method

Couldn't load plugin 'processing' from
['C:/PROGRA~1/QGISCH~1/apps/qgis/./python',

Failed to open Python console:
*This plugin is broken*
No module named expat; use SimpleXMLTreeBuilder instead

Needless to say, this is driving me nuts. As far as I can see I need to
get the Python console working first (it never has from Windows XP
through 8.0 to 10), then I may have a chance of using it to load any
packages, dependencies and therefore plugins).

Any help gratefully received.