[Qgis-user] Ordinary Kriging in QGIS

Falk Huettmann fhuettmann at alaska.edu
Wed Jun 27 23:51:37 PDT 2018

Hi all,

Just now it comes to my attention (sorry):

last years I went to a statistical session where the ESRI coders of the
krigging module
talked about 'issues' of the implementation there, and it was beyond scary
for me
(=>assumptions, merging outputs, edge issues etc. Krigging as such is
pretty sensitive to
underlying assumptions and data).

So my question is:
what is the science-basis for krigging in QGIS ?

Or asked other way round:
how can it be assured that the krigged results are meaningful and correct ?

If there is none of such metrics to assure it, then it's just another of
the many
shiny tools and 'homebrews' (not peer-reviewed and QA'ed really) out there
that mis-inform.

Like well-shown with home range analysis, kernels, random number
generators, optimizations and many predictions and model
selection tools, one may then ignore those outputs for a serious analysis.

The initial idea of open source was arguably that those things can be
tested, and improved, yes ?

I am open to hear feedback, examples and ideas for a betterment.

Thanks so much; kind regards
     Falk Huettmann