[Qgis-user] qgis3 3D view vertical scale inconsistency

Adam Dershowitz dersh at alum.mit.edu
Wed May 2 12:29:25 PDT 2018

I have been working with the new 3D view in qgis3.  I have a project where I have terrain (elevation data) and then some points above the terrain in space.  If I enable 3D rendered for the vector points, and set altitude clamping to Absolute, and then open a new 3D view it appears to be at a reasonable scale and looks good.  However, it can be useful to change the vertical scale to improve the view.  If I go to 3D Configuration and change the Terrain->Vertical scale to 2.0 then the terrain grows, as expected, but the vector points stay at the same elevation, and some end up below the surface.
Is there a way to change the whole vertical scale for the 3D view?  It seems like leaving the vector points at one vertical scale and the terrain at a different one, is misleading and I would consider it a bug.  The only temporary work around that has occurred to me so far is to calculate a whole new vector layer, that is calculated from the original one but scaled differently, and then display that one instead.  But that seems like it is not the easiest solution, and means that one would have to recalculate new vector layers for every change in scale.

Is there another solution?  Is this a bug that should be reported?

Thanks,

--Adam