[Qgis-user] Measurement tool

Josh Hull josh_hull at live.com
Fri Nov 2 05:36:26 PDT 2018

I'm having problems with the measurement tool. It is giving me an
inaccurate measurement when I am measuring both area and straight line
distance. I'm currently running QGIS 3.4 because the problem started in
3.2.3 and I thought upgrading might solve the issue. I'm running windows
10, 64bit and installed from the standalone installer. I use shape file
overlays of property lines that have been rock solid for the past couple
years. When I measure a 40 acre parcel of land with the area measurement
tool, QGIS tells me the area is over 83 acres. If I measure a straight
line distance along the side of a known 40 (it should be 1/4 mile), the
measurement tool shows .368 miles. I haven't made any changes to the CRS
and its using WGS 84 / Pseudo-Mercator. I primarily use the software for
maps in north central United States.

Any help would be awesome.

--
Josh Hull