[Qgis-user] /bin/sh: gdal_merge.py: command not found

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Tue Nov 20 15:54:43 PST 2018

(you don't remove emails from a mailing list, they're sent and everyone on the list gets it at that time)

Ooh, I missed that when packaging the new GDAL.  Looks like 2 problems:

1: the scripts were put in the python wheel info folder, odd place.  Workaround would be to add that folder to the PATH, but then the folder name changes with every new version.  Better would be to copy them to the GDAL framework "Programs" folder.

2: scripts don't have execute permissions.

I'll package up a new GDAL/QGIS with the scripts copied to the Programs and executeable.

> On Nov 20, 2018, at 5:17 PM, Lee Eddington <lee.w.eddington at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Not sure how to remove this post, but I figured it out the problem.
>
> gdal_merge.py was in /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.6/lib/python3.6/site-packages/GDAL-2.3.2.dist-info/scripts.  Previously when I searched for gdal_merge.py I couldn’t find it.  I was able to find it when searching as root.  Reran the merge command and it wouldn’t work until I changed the permissions on the scripts to executable.
>
> Lee
>

>> On Nov 20, 2018, at 3:57 PM, Lee Eddington <lee.w.eddington at gmail.com <mailto:lee.w.eddington at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I’m new to QGIS and to this list.  I’m going through the Training Manual and have a problem doing a raster merge:
>>
>> <Screen Shot 2018-11-20 at 3.44.06 PM.png>
>>
>> <Screen Shot 2018-11-20 at 3.49.42 PM.png>
>>
>> I’m not sure how to get gdal_merge.py (or any other scripts I might be missing) installed properly.  I added custom environment variables for PATH to get around problems creating a virtual raster and reprojecting (warping) a raster.  I have gdal in /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.6/lib/python3.6/site-packages (2.3.2).
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Lee

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

All generalizations are dangerous, even this one.