[Qgis-user] QGIS Functionality and Training

Randal Hale rjhale at northrivergeographic.com
Wed Oct 3 05:15:21 PDT 2018

I do training - just not on this specifically. I'd have to sit and think
about it how to work this in. I'll answer in line and maybe someone has
a better answer (possibly Kurt Menke)

1. I would think GRASS would be more appropriate than QGIS. A lot of the
tools in grass are exposed in QGIS - so maybe we could do basin
delineation using those tools but within QGIS.

2. I'm not sure  - but we can figure it out. QGIS can export to about
anything - so it's possible. Shapefiles make the world go around - that
and CSV text files.

3. Yes.

4. Without looking I believe so. Possibly would have to be one in GRASS
or with one of the exposed tools from GRASS in QGIS.

5. 6. 7. Yes.

All of this is off the top of my head - I'd have to research this more
to give a better answer.

Randy

On 10/03/2018 07:35 AM, Seth Cohen wrote:

> All,
>
> The company I work for is in need of the following information on an
> upcoming project, and my boss is asking if we need to buy ArcGIS or
> can QGIS do all this; see the list below.
>
>  1. Basin delineation from LiDAR surfaces
>  2. Stage-Storage determination for each delineated basin for input
>     into a hydrology model
>  3. Determine the longest flow path in the basin
>  4. Average slope of that flow path.
>  5. Acreage within the basin that is a certain soil grouping
>  6. Land cover size estimates, e.g. residential, timberland, open
>     pasture, wetland, industrial, commercial, etc.
>  7. Land cover size estimates for soil grouping mentioned in #5
>
> Also, does anyone on here provide on-site training or know of anyone
> or any company that provides on-site training and support?  The
> company I work for is willing to pay of course.  I am based out of
> USA, Lake City – Florida.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Seth Cohen
>
> Project Manager