[Qgis-user] QGIS Functionality and Training

Nicolas Cadieux nicolas.cadieux at archeotec.ca
Wed Oct 3 07:10:36 PDT 2018

Hi Luigi

A PDAL processing toolbox will be nice to have. This is a great addition
to the QGIS project. Keep in mind that LAStools is intergrated in the
processing toolbox but it is not free.  You can make small project but
for anything serious or professiona you will need to pay for LAStools or
else, you are using a limited demo. This being said, LAStools is not
that expensive, has a very good email list where trouble shooting is
done on the fly by the developer.  I would buy it.  Las2dem (not open
source), as an example, will add black lines in the DEM if the data
files are past a certain size.  LAStools does have open source tools
(like las2txt.exe) but las2dem is not one of them.  This being said, I
work with the open source tools from PDAL and LAStools and use GDAL Grid
(available with QGIS) and Cloud Compare to generate the DEMs.

If your company does not have a GIS, then the cost of the learning curve
between ArcGIS and QGIS will not be very different.  QGIS and variety of
Open Source software like Cloud Compare, GRASS, SAGA can do everything
you want.  Some is easier with ArcGIS and some is easier with QGIS.
Personally, I have never purchased an ArcGIS license and don't see the
advantage.

Keep in mind that doing this stuff will require that people in the
company learn about GIS and not just on how to run software if you want
to make a good professional job. Send me a personal email if you want
examples of this stuff.  I am currently working on a project in Peru and
could probably share some screen shots.   I am in Montréal, Canada.  I
can also do training in French and English.  I also speak Spanish but
it's a little rusty.  I am finishing a Ph.D. in a Remote sensing lab
with extensive use of LiDAR and DEMs.

Nicolas Cadieux

nicolas.cadieux at archeotec.ca

P.S.

You will probably want to work with TauDEM, a qgis plugin for hydrologic
analysis.  Look at http://www.engenious.com/Content/Tutorial.pdf and
http://hydrology.usu.edu/taudem/taudem5/index.html