[Qgis-user] Letter form to Schools, Universities and Institutions against free(as beer) licenced SW

Georg Hörmann georg.hoermann at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 16:59:42 PDT 2018

Hi Luigi,

I switched all my courses completely to open source software (R, QGIS,
Libreoffice). Here is why:

1) My salary is paid by the taxpayer, why should I teach commercial
software and make free promotion for really expensive software?

2) 99% of all problems with GIS software came from this f*
license server (at least at the time when I switched)

3) students can work at home with their preferred computer and do
not have to pay additional money

4) If you teach in other places (summer schools, foreign countries)
you do not have to spend hours to setup the license server and
the students do not have to buy the pirate copies at the local
market

5) OS software helps to make the world a better place for everyone,
even for people without much money

6) OS Software has reached a level of maturity which is competitive
(my main reason *not* switch the GIS software was software stability,
now QGIS works fine).

7) OS Software is not crippled by the need to make money with
additional features, e.g. you
do not have to pay for the server version, additional extensions etc.

8) You license dooes not expire exactly when you need it most, e.g.
when your annual subscription expires extactly just before you submit
your thesis/proposal or whatever.

Just my 2 cents,

Georg

--
Georg Hoermann, Dep. of Hydrology, Ecology, Kiel University, Germany
+49/431/2190916, mo: +49/176/64335754, icq:348340729, skype: ghoermann