[Qgis-user] Can anyone confirm corrupted QGS-Files?

Francesco Pelullo f.pelullo at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 08:52:57 PDT 2018

Hi,

some days ago me and another person in our office had the same
problem: lost entities from a shapefile while editing.

I was editing a puntual shapefile and lost dozen of points, I need to
digitize them again (and again and again and again...).  More or less
I lost 50 points over a total of 230 points and need to input them
again, I saved the project and the shapefile at every entity input but
it was unuseful.

My collague, instead, was working on a linear shapefile. He lost many
entities while editing (100 lines over a total of 300), but these
entities "returns" later  and therefore he had two or more duplicated
entities.

QGIS 3.2.3 on Win10, project in QGIS 3 format (.qgs). We was working
on different projects, different shapefiles. Files was archived on a
network shared directory.

We switchet to rel 3.2. some days ago and this is the first project
with new release. Never had these problems with QGIS 2.18.

Best regards
Francesco AKA /niubii/

> Am 19.10.2018 um 09:31 schrieb Kai Borgolte:
>
>> today it's the second time my coworker worked on a corrupt QGS file.
>> Some content like layouts, symbology and labelling are not complete.
>> Last time he continued to work on the file, and the file size was a
>> quarter from qgs~. Today he quit QGIS without saving and the file seems
>> OK, so the corruption seems to introduce at load time.
>>
>> He is using QGIS 3.2.2 on Windows10.
>>
>> Does someone else see these problems?
>
> today we found the reason: he edited QGIS3-files in QGIS 2. In future je
> should save QGIS3-projects as .qgz.
>
> I had assumed, that QGIS 2 would warn about opening "future" files, but
> it seems it doesn't?
> --
> Kai Borgolte, Bonn

Ciao