[Qgis-user] Georeferencing for Avenza

Gmail - Peter ppowell.px2 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 03:39:24 PDT 2018

Dear List Subscribers

Are there any updates to the threads of 2015/2016 regarding QGIS producing
georeferenced tifs or pdfs for loading into Avenza?  I am a newbie to QGIS
(Madeira 3.4) and while I have succeeded in producing a correctly
georeferenced tif file via Raster>Conversion>translate, this only works on
one layer.  The three other methods I can see to export or print a pdf or
tif do not produce a correctly georeferenced file in Lats/Longs using
GDA94Z50.  The file according to Avenza is ~54deg and 89deg south and west
of where it should be.

I am starting with a non-georeferenced raster which I put through the
georeferencer with 6 GCPs and several experiments of transformation types,
settling on polynomial 1.  The process produces a tif, pdf, and loads back
into the main window.  The main window raster is georeferenced perfectly, so
wouldn't you think the other output would be too?

The correct method should be to use Print Layout, produce a map with all the
layers from the main window, and export as an image or pdf.  This might work
if the map units were real world and not mm.

The fall back should be Project>Import/Export>Export Map to Image or pdf
from the main window, but that doesn't work either.

I hope the solution is obvious and I have overlooked something simple.  Any
guidance appreciated, I like to take my maps out into the field.

Regards

Peter