[Qgis-user] Snapping points and lines in 3D

Saber Razmjooei saber.razmjooei at lutraconsulting.co.uk
Tue Oct 30 08:15:23 PDT 2018

As far as I remember, there was not a specific feature to allow that. For
the editing Z and M, user has to use the node tool to add the value.
I agree, digitizing and snapping to 3D features are not straightforward,
specially when you do it in a 2D plane.

Cheers
Saber

On Tue, 30 Oct 2018 at 15:09, Régis Haubourg <regis.haubourg at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi, It's not by chance, we have been working a lot to try to make the
> digitizing maptools catch with the 3D API for geometries, because before
> 2.18, it was just destroying Z and M values for all operations.
> I think some use cases are still missing probably, and some are not easy
> to solve by one default behavior, because choosing if you want to snap Z
> value or not should be a user choice.
> We have been discussing a lot about going towards some interactive
> snapping widget to be able to choose which feature to grab, which to snap
> to, use Z or not, use a Z snapping tolerance or not. It's a big topic!
> Best regards
> Régis
>
> Le mar. 30 oct. 2018 à 15:29, Saber Razmjooei <
> saber.razmjooei at lutraconsulting.co.uk> a écrit :
>
>> Hi Morten,
>>
>> This is probably by chance that the line works! Have you tried to move
>> the point using the node tool?
>>
>> Proper 3D digitizing from within the 3D map is in our to-do list for
>> future, but if you'd be interested in sponsoring the feature, feel free to
>> contact us.
>>
>> Regards
>> Saber
>>
>> On Tue, 30 Oct 2018 at 08:08, Morten Storm <morten.storm at artogis.dk>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>

>>> I have a 3D point layer from a GPS device (with x, y AND z coordinates).
>>>

>>> I want to digitize new features in 3D point and 3D line layers with
>>> snapping in all 3 dimensions to these GPS points.
>>>

>>> This works great for line features - every node gets 3D coordinates when
>>> snapped to my GPS points. However point features only get 2D coordinates
>>> (zero for z)!? Do I do something wrong - or is this by design?
>>>

>>> I have tried this in QGIS 2.18.21 and QGIS 3.4.0.
>>>

>>> Best regards,
>>>

>>> *Morten Storm*Chefkonsulent
>>>
>>> [image: logo] <http://www.artogis.dk/>
>>>
>>> [image: info]