[Qgis-user] Performance of MSSQL Server with QGIS 3.4

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 17:47:54 PDT 2018

On Wed, 31 Oct 2018 at 01:28, Baker, Matthew <MATTHEW_BAKER at dpsk12.org> wrote:

> Thanks for the reply, Nyall.
>
> To clarify - this issue is just refreshing the database tree in the browser window - once refreshed (eventually), all tables behave normally (see below re. invalid geometries).
>
> 2.18 and 3.2 used to refresh the tables just fine. Upon installing 3.4, things have slowed down for all versions.

Thanks for the clarification. Can you confirm whether you have the
setting "only look in the geometry_columns metadata table" switched on
or off for your connection?

If you're not using this setting, then it's possibly related to this
fix https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/commit/e813fe880. Pre 3.4 QGIS was
only looking in the geometry columns table for the browser, and not
respecting this setting.

> Another thing to note - 2.18 and 3.2 show only a handful of schemas in the database (not sure how it decides which one) - but now 3.4 is showing ALL schemas, including those without any tables and that weren't shown in 2.18/3.2 - that's weird!

That's intended -- for db connections we should be showing empty
schemas in the browser, as this allows users to drag and drop tables
into these schemas to initially populate them.

Nyall