[Qgis-user] Simple Vector-Editing Question - Deleting Multiple Rings at Once

Nicolas Cadieux nicolas.cadieux at archeotec.ca
Fri Sep 14 09:35:07 PDT 2018

Hi,
Yes indeed, i has thinking at the object level. I have a method to remove thousands of rings that I developed for merging LiDAR borders files that generally results in thousands of polygones with thousands of islands.

If you want to eliminate thousands of rings, or holes inside polygons , you need create new polygon layer with a big square covering the entire area.  Then, you can subtract the polygone layer from the square.  You will be left with all the rings and the square contour.  After deleting the square contour (a single polygon), all you have left is the inside rings.  Using the merge tools, you can then merge the inside rings with polygons.

The result is a polygon layer with no more rings.  You may have to do a spatial query to transfert the data base to the new polygons. That depends on the algorithm used. Write back if this is not clear.

Nicolas