[Qgis-user] QGIS Local XYZ Tiles

Saber Razmjooei saber.razmjooei at lutraconsulting.co.uk
Mon Sep 24 02:01:05 PDT 2018

Nyall's suggestion worked and you should be able to add the folder
containing XYZ tiles. The path in Linux looked like this:
file:////path/to/folder/{z}/{x}/{y}.png

The changes is master and should appear in the next release.
Cheers,
Saber

On Thu, 20 Sep 2018 at 23:32, Nyall Dawson <nyall.dawson at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 20 Sep 2018 at 06:31, Justin Robinson <jdr at spatialbias.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Kyle,
> >
> > It looks like that's not currently possible, it still has an open
> request in the tracker as well: https://issues.qgis.org/issues/16587
> >
> > It probably does boil down to lack of status/content-type for file://
> locations. A work around seems to be hosting with a web server of some kind
> (I'm guessing even Python's http module would suffice: "python3 -m
> http.server" or in python2 "python -m SimpleHTTPServer" and then
> localhost:8000 by default).
>
> If someone has a build environment available to test this, I think the
> fix might be changing the condition in qgswmsprovider.cpp line 3887 to
>
>     if ( !contentType.isEmpty() && !contentType.startsWith(
> QLatin1String( "image/" ), Qt::CaseInsensitive ) &&
>          contentType.compare( QLatin1String(
> "application/octet-stream" ), Qt::CaseInsensitive ) != 0 )
>     { ...
>
> (i.e. insert the "!contentType.isEmpty()" check)
>
> I've no local xyz tiles available to test this with.
>
> Nyall
>

> > Cheers,
> > Justin
> >
> > On Tue, Sep 18, 2018 at 8:43 AM Kyle <kylesulek at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> I am struggling to get file urls to work with the QGIS tiles layer. I
> have followed the instructions here:
> >>
> >> https://www.spatialbias.com/2018/02/qgis-3.0-xyz-tile-layers/
> >>
> >> Under the URL field, I put
> "file:///home/kyle/Documents/tiles/{z}/{x}/{y}.png" (without quotes)
> >>
> >> I also set the min and max zoom levels to 3 and 8 respectively. It is
> worth noting that the tile set that I am pointing at is not complete and
> only covers North America.
> >>
> >> My problem is that nothing shows up on the screen after I add the
> layer. Am I missing something? Everything works correctly when I point to a
> online tile server (i.e openstreetmaps).
> >>
> >> It appears that I'm not the only one to have this issue:
> >>
> https://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/219118/how-to-use-qgis-tile-server-provider-with-local-tms-folder

Saber Razmjooei
www.lutraconsulting.co.uk
+44 (0)7568 129733