[Qgis-user] finding the radius of a curve

McDonaldR McDonaldR at angus.gov.uk
Mon Apr 22 00:33:16 PDT 2019

As your data is in PostGIS and assuming that they are arcs (curved lines part of a circle) you could use some geometry and spatial SQL functions to calculate the radius of any curve knowing the coordinates of the end points of the curve.

To quote the pseudo code on the linked page:

“To calculate the radius of an arc, take the height -- "H" -- of the arc and divide it by two. Call the result "C." Now take the width -- "W" -- of the arc and square it by multiplying it by itself. Call the result "D." Next multiply height, "H," by eight and call this result "E." Divide "D" by "E" and call the result "F." The radius of the arc is C plus F.”

https://sciencing.com/calculate-radius-curve-7804090.html

Could probably be wrapped in a function and run against any curve.

Ross