[Qgis-user] failed to add WMS layer

Stewart Holt stewartbholt at gmail.com
Thu Aug 1 11:08:12 PDT 2019

I use USGS WMS and WMTS layers. At some point in the recent past the WMS
layers stopped working. I am almost sure they have worked in QGIS V3. I
usually use WMTS because of the speed, but for final publishing, I have
seen some cases where a corresponding WMS layer is higher definition, so I
would like to be able to use it. Also the long timeout while starting the
project is unfortunate and I don't want to delete the WMS layer. Here is a
WMS layer which fails:

https://basemap.nationalmap.gov/arcgis/services/USGSTopo/MapServer/WMSServer?request=GetCapabilities&service=WMS

And a corresponding WMTS layer which works:

https://basemap.nationalmap.gov/arcgis/rest/services/USGSTopo/MapServer/WMTS/1.0.0/WMTSCapabilities.xml

On the failing WMS layer, I have removed it and added it back. When I test
it I get a message saying that a get capabilities request has failed. I
hope someone who might be able to figure out what is going on can give this
URL a try.

Thanks,

Stewart