[Qgis-user] Adding PostGIS Layer (Query Before Load)

Peter Borissow peter.borissow at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 5 15:29:19 PDT 2019

Hello,     I have a partitioned table in a PostgreSQL/PostGIS database with ~30 billion points. I would like to render a subset of this data in QGIS and run some analytics.

Normally, with a smaller dataset, I would simply navigate to the table I want via the "Browser" and add it to the map via a double click. Once the data is loaded, I can filter the data, run analysis, etc. However, in my case, this is impossible. What I need is an option to filter the data before loading it into the map.

I looked at the Data Source Manager (Layer -> Add Layer -> Add PostGIS Layers...) but I don't see any filtering options there and the app hangs when I hit the "Connect" button.

Obviously, I can create views in the database to circumvent this issue but I don't want to create dozens of custom views.

Is there another way to create a layer from PostgreSQL/PostGIS using a filter-first strategy in QGIS?

Thanks in advance,Peter