[Qgis-user] Featured plugins

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Tue Aug 27 00:07:17 PDT 2019

Hi Calvin, all

On 26/08/19 22:29, C Hamilton wrote:
> I think the Featured Plugin list should be a combination of some of the
> most beneficial plugins and a few potentially important new plugins. I'm
> not sure how to judge that latter part. Each GIS organization usually
> have different focuses so different plugins will be applicable to
> different organizations. I think for some of the new plugins you can
> highlight them for a few months and then depending on how they do,
> remove them from the list and highlight new ones. Even though I have two
> plugins on the list, which I appreciate, I don't think you need to feel
> obligated to keep any plugin on the list just because you currently have
> it there or you feel obligated to their authors.

agreed

> QuickMapServices
> Lat Lon Tools
> Shape Tools
> Plugin Reloader
> Memory Layer Saver

all featured already

> I would second Quick OSM because people I work with use it frequently.

also featured

> I don't consider "Profile Tool" to be perfect, but I find it useful to
> generate cross sections on DEMS. There are 4 plugins that create
> profiles, but I would say that "Profile Tool" is the easiest to use. The
> plugin "Temporal/Spectral Profile Tool" probably should not have been
> accepted as a QGIS plugin because it is a modified version of the
> Profile Tool. I can't get it to work. That author should have worked
> with the Profile Tool author to make a better plugin. VoGIS Profile Tool
> is also very similar. qProf seems to be a little more advanced.
> Ultimately, it would be nice to merge all 4 into one tool.
>
> For simplicity I recommend "Profile Tool." For more advanced analysis qProf.

agreed; I approached the authors and tried to convince them to merge
their work, unsuccessfully until now. I'll try again.

> I don't know if "Value Tool" should be featured or not. It's sole
> function is to examine pixel values as the mouse hovers over them and
> sometimes I need that. Only small portion of users would need this
> capability. I'm sure it was written because the Identify Results does
> not have the mouse motion view that it does. A little enhancement of
> Identify Results would make it obsolete.

agreed, the functionality should go to core. would you mind checking if
a feature request is already open, and open it if necessary?

> I personally really dislike the OpenLayers plugin as I tend to have
> trouble with it. Because of the issues people have had with it, I am
> guessing that its star ratings and downloads have been manipulated.
> Because I have not tried it for a while I just installed it and guess
> what, I got python errors so it is now uninstalled.

this is a widespread opinion

> The mmqgis plugin has a number of tools; however, the author did not
> update it to make use of the QGIS 3 architecture. Its output defaults to
> a Shapefile and most of the tools could really be Processing routines.
agreed; it would be nice if someone would offer help to MM for the
migration.

Cheers.
--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu