[Qgis-user] Problem connecting to PostGIS in QGIS 3.10

Cliff Patterson cpatterson at psdrcs.com
Mon Dec 2 09:04:46 PST 2019

While testing QGIS 3.10 with PostGIS, I needed to create a new database
user in PG and test that the user could access all tables in each schema. I
use a "read_only" role to grant access to the tables. The newly created
user was able to connect to the database, but each schema was inaccessible
(table list could not be viewed), even though I am 100% sure the role was
granted with usage on the DB, access to the schema, and read only access to
each table. I even tested the new user's creds with PGAdmin4 and was able
to execute a select query on every table in every schema. So, the problem
is with QGIS 3.10.

Thinking this might be a bug in 3.10, I installed 3.4.13 and the new user
credentials work. I can access all tables in each schema, as expected. I
also noticed that the rendering of large PostGIS layers is much slower in
3.10 and often leads to a momentary freezing.

So if you are having trouble with PostGIS in 3.10, I recommend downgrading
to QGIS 3.4, unless someone can recommend a solution -- perhaps a way to
clear the credential cache or something in 3.10.

Cheers,
Cliff